Sunday, March 15, 2009

Day One


Dear Journal,
I cannot believe that we've only been here one day. I guess that time flies by when you're having fun. NOT. When I woke up this morning to the sound of trucks outside my house, I never dreamed that I would end up in the fortress of the Revolutionaries in just a couple of hours. I still cannot forget the look on my mom's face when we started driving away, and I wondered if I would ever see her again. We drove in the trucks, and kept very quite. My mind was busy thinking about what had just happened when we finally reached the fortress, the chance of escaping gone. When the truck came to a complete stop, men with machine guns came and checked every single corner of it. I wondered if I, too, would have to hold one of those guns, and at the same thought wondered if it would be heavy for my skinny arms. We received food, Tortillas, rice, beans, and even a cup of coffee, and started our training. While we were eating, I got a chance to look around a little. The HQ stood somewhere in the mountains, overlooking the volcano called Atlacatl. It was mostly rocky earth with a few trees and tall grass standing near by. I met many new people today, including two boys called Joan and Esteban, and I didn’t like both very much. Joan is very bossy and thinks a lot of himself. He and Esteban were the two soldiers that were training us to become something like them; a hard expectation is you ask me. But it’s getting late and if Joan, or worse, Sergeant Diáz saw that I was awake, I wouldn’t be here to write what happens to me tomorrow.

0 comments: